The Application Acceleration Center of Excellence (AACE) was established by the Joint Institute for Computational Sciences (JICS) in 2011 in partnership with NICS, Cray, and Intel.
- To prepare the national supercomputing community to effectively and efficiently utilize future computing technologies
- To optimize applications for current and future compute systems, including those using the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor and GPGPUs
- To develop expertise in the expression and exploitation of fine-grain and medium-grain parallelism
- To conduct research and education programs focused on developing and transferring knowledge related to emerging computing technologies, including the Beacon Project, sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the State of Tennessee
- To guide the development of future supercomputing architectures and programming models through co-design activities with HPC vendors and manufacturers, including early access to Cray and Intel technologies
- To be a leader in sustainable software infrastructure for simulation in science and engineering, such as the Beacon machine which was named Number One on the Green500 in November 2012 with a performance of 2.449 GFlops/Watt.
AACE has a multi-year strategic engagement with Intel to jointly pursue:
- Development of next-generation, high-performance computing solutions based on the Intel® Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture
- Design of scientific applications emphasizing a sustainable approach for both performance and productivity
- Receive early access to Intel technologies and provides application testing, performance results, and expert feedback to Intel
- Help guide further development efforts by Intel
- Prepare scientific community for next generation HPC technologies such as the Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessor
To learn more about AACE's current and future projects, technology, and applications, please check out the following presentations:
- The Beacon Project and the Green 500 (PDF)
- Current and Future AACE Projects (PDF)
- AACE Technology (PDF)
- AACE Applications (PDF)
Please visit the Beacon Resource page for information about the system.
If you are interested in joining the Beacon Project please visit Open Call for Participation.
Also, check out AACE's Beacon Cluster Topping the Green 500 for November 2012!