Instructions on how to start a VNC Session on Nautilus:
- Connect to a Nautilus login node (login.nautilus.nics.utk.edu) via ssh, using your username and OTP token.
- Run the command:
- If you do not have a VNC password set, it will prompt you to create one. Do not use a valuable password! It will also ask if you want to create a view-only password. Normally you wouldn't want to.
- The command will return to you your
VNC_PORT, and a command to start the ssh tunnel. You will need the ssh command now and the
DISPLAY_NUMwhen shutting down the VNC connection.
- From your local machine, run the ssh command that was generated by
rdav-vnc-startupcommand. Enter it exactly as it appears. When prompted, enter your passcode. It is normal to not get a shell after entering your passcode.
- On your local machine, open your VNC client. Connect to localhost:5901. When prompted, enter the VNC password.
- To end your VNC session: Close your VNC client, close the ssh tunnel, and then on Nautilus run the command:
vncserver -kill :DISPLAY_NUM, where
DISPLAY_NUMis the number that you were given before.